Wednesday 24 August 2016

Life and Other Near-Death Experiences

Life and Other Near-Death Experiences
Have you ever started to read a book, and from the first few pages you could tell it was going to hook you? That was this book for me. I chose it as my October early-release freebie through Prime. The same day I ordered this, I downloaded about 4 other books through my public library. I was going to read a few pages from each book and see which grabbed my attention. I started with this book and just kept reading.

It was well written and well edited. Witty humor was interjected throughout, and while centered around a deep subject, the book was light and yes, maybe a bit fluffy. I felt that the main characters were well developed and part of what kept me hooked was that I cared about Libby and wanted to see what happened to her. I appreciate that this was a "clean" book - no swearing, no explicit sex scenes, but I would have liked Libby's first love scene to have been slightly more detailed. At only a sentence or two long, at first I wasn't sure if it was something that had actually happened.

I disagree with what one reviewer said about everything being neatly tied up in a bow at the end. Not everything with Libby was tied up at the end of the book -which I found surprisingly unpredictable. Yes, there was a happy ending of course - and I would not have wanted it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment